Thursday, February 12, 2009

Something from Cake Mania

Ok, I suck at games. Video games, board games, real games (e.g. sports). But I love simple games. My recent love is Cake Mania 3. It has pretty pictures, somewhat interesting stories and you run your bakery business. If you fail, you do it over. Simple. Perfect for me.
Somehow from my "successful experiences" in the bakery business, I've learned a lot.

Who are your targetted customers/markets?

You have limited resources; e.g. one oven that can bake 3 different shapes of cakes, one spin table that gives you 3 different toppings. So, as your customers are waiting, their satisfiction levels drop. If you are too late, they leave and you have this customized cake that you can't sell to other customer. So you waste that.
So, the first couple of times, I make the cake anyway and try to be on time. However, sometimes you just can't do it. So I failed to pass that level. Then I realized, when i realize that I just can't make the cakes on time, I don't even make them. I skip those already pissed customers, and go directly to the next one. Instead of losing the customers and wasting the cake and possibly losing the next customer, I lose this one, but save the cost and satisfy the next customer. And I pass!
Then I remember the Starbucks case. There are people who enjoy the Italian cafe environment when they go to Starbucks, and there are people who need to get their coffee and leave. How does Starbucks recognize these customers and serve them both? If you have all these customers who want to stay in the store and don't mind to wait, you can slow down your coffee making process, but they cluster your space. If you also want to please the people who are in hurry, you need to speed up, and you can't have a clustered store. Obviously, there is a conflict. Who do you please?
Back to Cake Mania. After I made more money, I bought more machines and I bought a TV to keep customers happy while they are waiting. So I can actually make cakes for almost everybody. So businesses can have multiple focuses, but they require different strategies. Like Gap, Old Navy and Banana Republic. I seriously can't imagine what it would look like if all of these products are sold under the same brand name in the same store.
I wonder when they choose their store locations, they do research on local customers. Who are they? What are their purchasing behaviours? What do they want? It is natural for people to please everybody, but you just can't. If you lose your focus, you may piss off everybody. On the other hand, you have a focus, you have a clear image. You can also put more efforts on your targetted customers, so they are happier too.
Maybe the simple game is not so simple after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment